Foot and Ankle Surgery.
sprains and chronic instability; osteochondral lesions.
Flat foot; cavus foot; neurologic foot, diabetic foot, rheumatoid foot, hallux valgus (bunion) and other forefoot disorders. Degenerative disorders and post trauma deformities.
Arthroscopic or endoscopic surgery, conservative surgery, minimally invasive surgery, sports trauma, deformity correction, arthroplasty and arthrodesis.
Medicine Degree – Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon (2002)
Graduation in Sports Medicine – Portuguese Society of Sports Medicine (2004)
Orthopedics and Traumatology Specilist (2011)
PhD Student at the Biomechanics and Functional Morphology Laboratory at the Lisbon Faculty of Human Kinetics (since 2017)
Senior Consultant in Orthopedics and Traumatology (2020)
Visiting Fellowship at the Orthopädischen Service der Städt.Klinikum – Dr. Roland Beckert, Brandenburg, Germany (2009)
Visiting Fellowship at the Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli – Dr. Steffano Zafagnini, Italy (2009)
Visiting Fellowship at the Ospedale dell’Università degli Studi di Torino – Dr. Roberto Rossi, Torino, Italy (2009)
Visiting Fellowship at the Centre Orthopédique SANTY e Clinique du Parq – Dr. Gilles Walch and Dr. Nové Jousserand, Lyon, France (2009)
Visiting Fellowship at the Clinique de Lambersart – Dr. Hugues Charles, Lille, France (2009)
Visiting Fellowship at the Clinica Montecanal – Dr. Angel Calvo, Zaragosa, Spain(2009)
Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship – Dr. António Cartucho, Lisboa, Portugal (2011)
- 2005: Orthopedic Resident at Hospital Ortopédico de Sant’Iago do Outão, Outão
- 2011: Orthopaedic Surgeon at Hospital Ortopédico de Sant’Iago do Outão, Outão
- 2011: Orthopaedic Surgeon at Hospital da Luz – Setúbal
- 2012: Orthopedic Surgeon at Hospital Beatriz Ângelo, member of the Foot and Ankle Unit
- 2016: Head of Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Hospital da Luz – Setúbal
- 2019: Head of Foot and Ankle Unit at Hospital Beatriz Ângelo
- 2019: Head of Occupational Accidents Department at Hospital da Luz – Setúbal
Collaboration in book chapters
- Resende Sousa, M; Mendes, D; Vide, J: “Anatomia do Pé e Tornozelo” Pé e Tornozelo, pp 7-31, Lidel; 2015
- Pereira, H; Resende Sousa, M; Mendes, D; Oliveira J; Reis, R; Espregueira-Mendes, J; Ripoll, P: “Tibialis Anterior and Posterior Tendons” Muscle and Tendon Injuries – Evaluation and Management – ISAKOS, pp 355-372, 2017
- Mendes D., Resende de Sousa, M: “A Artroscopia no Tratamento Cirúrgico de Fracturas do Tornozelo – Resultados Preliminares” Congresso nacional do Pé e Tornozelo, Batalha, 2014 – Best free paper
- Moita, M; Resende de Sousa; M; Mendes, D: “Medição de Ângulos Radiográficos no Hallux Valgus”
- Machado, L; Barbosa, L; Vide, J; Mendes, D; Resende de Sousa, M “Caso Clínico: Fratura bimaleolar e artropatia de Charcot” I Curso Internacional PEALMCIP, Outubro 2016, Lisboa – Best free paper (ex-aequo)
Reviewer in Open Peer Review (2009 – 2012)
- Journal of Musculoskeletical Disorders – BioMed Central
- Journal of Medical Case Reports – BioMed Central
Lecturer of Orthopaedics on the Physical Therapy Degree at Escola Superior de Saúde – Instituto Politécnico de Setúbal (2011 – 2014)
Moderator and Guest Speaker in International and National Meetings
Member of Organizing Commities of National and International Courses and Meetings
- Lisbon Foot and Ankle Clinics Biomechanics Course, since 2017
- Foot and Ankle Sports Medicine International Course, (since 2015)
- FORTE Summer School– Foot and Ankle section, (since 2016)
Member of thePortuguese Orthopaedics and Traumatology Society (SPOT) – N1376
Member of the European Foot and Ankle Society (EFAS)
Member of the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery (AOFAS)
Member of the Ankle and Foot Associates (AFAS), ESSKA section
Member of the Amsterdam Foot and Ankle Platform
Member of the Portuguese Arthroscopy and Sports Traumatology Society (SPAT) N356
Member of the Portuguese Sports Medicine Society (SPMD) N233
Fluence in portuguese and english.
Intermediate level in spanish and french.